The IVY Club will once again be hosting the IVY Club Invitational Cardboard boat race on Monday September 4, 2017 to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association of Central Illinois Chapter.
- Presentation and display will begin in the front lawn of the IVY Club at noon.
- Racing will begin at 2:00 pm.
- The registration cost per boat will be $50, with all proceeds going to the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Corporate sponsorships are $100
- There will be a prize for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in racing
- There will also be a prize for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in show.
- Each show vote will cost $1.00 with the proceeds going to the Alzheimer’s Association.
The IVY Club will have sandwiches and beverages for sale throughout the contest.
If you plan to arrive by boat, the IVY Club’s North Harbor will be shut down between 12 noon and 4:00 for racing. Please contact the harbor master for any slip assignments in the south harbor. We have rules for 2017 (see below). Please submit your registrations (Checks payable to the Alzheimer’s Association of Central Illinois) as soon as possible in care of:
Paul Kelley, 5102 North Galena Road, Peoria Heights, IL. 61616
- The entire boat must be built of cardboard.
- Cardboard may be as thick as you want and may be layered together.
- Cardboard carpet tubes or similar tubes may be used. “Sono-tubes” or any other type if pre-treated or coated cardboard that has been processed in such a way as to waterproof the cardboard may NOT be used.
- Duct tape, masking tape, wood glue, or contact cement may be used. Metal or plastic staples, clamps, nails, screws, etc, may NOT be used.
- Boats may be painted with a water based paint or water sealer, like Thompson’s Water Seal Stain. All paint and stain must be dry before the boat enters the water. Tar, wax, silicone, fiberglass resins, epoxy glues, or Styrofoam are prohibited.
- Raft style designs may be used, but surfboard-style designs may NOT!! The distinguishing features of a raft design over that of a surfboard is the use of connected cardboard logs.
- 100% of the crew members must be inside or on top of your boat. Where the crew sits may not be enclosed. The boat crew must be able to get IN and OUT of the boat easily.
- The propulsion system may NOT be motor power, or kick power. Any oars or paddles may be made out of any material.
- No electrical power sources will be allowed on any boat once in contact with the water.
- If there is any doubt about the construction, the judges reserve the right to use a probe, suck as an ice pick, to test and verify that only cardboard has been used. Construction violations discovered during any part of the day shall be cause for elimination.
- Life Jackets must be worn during the race.
- Each team is responsible for disposing of their boat after the race.
- Only the pilots and one crew member will be allowed on the dock prior to the start of the race.